Monday 18 August 2014

WOW WOW WOW! MLE !! What a step

We are right in the thick of things now!  Over the past 5 weeks we have visited five different schools.  Heard lots of different philosophies and school visions.  Over the visits we have seen great spaces with little thought around what MLE means and we have seen amazing MLE in action with thoughts and ideas behind it.

Throughout this journey which has taking 18months to change my own practise to get to where I am today!  So it is time for a quick run down on what I have done!

Professional readings!!!!! So many it is not funny.  Child centred learning and self regulation.  All last year I knew the definition of self regulation but had no idea where to start.  So this week I have introduced just knowledge goals for my students.  Students used their knowledge testing to define their own goals.  Here is an example of a goal sheet.


It is great to see the students choosing what they want to learn.  The biggest challenge for me has been having all the learning set up for the individual goals at the moment I have kids working on 15 different goals over 4 stages!  It is a headache!  However,  through reflection with the kids they are more motivated to find out their learning.  It was interesting listening to two of my boys, the two I have to manage a lot for behaviour and being on task,  teaching each other at morning tea how to do different goals so they could move on quicker.  

I know this post is all over the show but so much has happened and I am having an explosion.  The furniture is set and the basic workshops are running with little student choice.  After visiting Amsbury School I thought how can I get my students setting their own goals and turning up to workshops as they need in relation to their goals.  I am good at running before I can walk so I needed to make this manageable. Hence the knowledge goals.  Then I thought how can I tie in reading with our solo matrix.  I broke down the skill of main ideas and what I wanted my kids to be able to do which was write a summary.  We then self assessed and that allowed my students to place themselves into groups.  After my workshop today I had one of my students come to me and say I get it can I move up a group now.  I wasn't expecting it so I now have to give her an opportunity to move on and link up to the key words group.  

It is so true that students learn and different paces and stages.  I think with the goal setting it is allowing students to move forward at their pace and seek help when needed. 

Students are now able to regulate their learning and have ownership over their goals.  Only a small step but a big one.  

I had to pull back on the activities that I am getting the students to do as I was overloading them.  I would next term like to run the 20% passion project time as an opportunity for self directed inquiry.  I just need to work out structure for the inquiry so students have a purpose!




No comments:

Post a Comment